Thursday, February 1, 2007

I've surfaced...

...to catch my breath. I'm going down again, and I know it.

The waves are high, the water's rough and bone-chilling cold. I hate the feeling of water in my nose, the salt stinging my eyes. It's almost easier to stay down under the surface, where it's eerily quiet and everything, including my anxious heart, moves in slow motion. When I look up, I see light, shimmering luminous through the blues and greens. A surprising stillness, an outside-looking-in, as if I'd died a minute ago and I can see that no one thought to tell my body. Maybe someone who's been there and back can tell me about it.

The food, family, fortitude and faith part is going to have to wait; today all I can think about is air.

chicka chicka boom boom...will there be enough room? Just to put one finger in front of the other to set up this blog took two weeks and felt like an agonizing stretch toward an obscured target. I told Kim today that I realized it would help me to have someplace to go, someone to write for (if only for myself), to put down in words the things and feelings left unspoken in the casual encounters of the day. I think I'll be healthier for it. So here I am. Is there room in the chaos that is my life right now for a blog? I honestly don't know, but I'm going to find out.

I hope you'll come with me.

photo credit: emanouel V. via stock.xchng

8 comments:

Valle said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Can't wait to read your musings...and I do hope you find time to write. I find it can really focus things, drums out the rest of the noise.

I've got you bookmarked, so keep writing!

Erin MacPherson said...

You're such a fabulous writer and I can't wait to share this journey with you.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new blog! I can't wait to read more! ... especially if you write about La Note in Berkeley... reading about their bowls of hot chocolate is the next best thing to being there with you drinking them! I have you bookmarked so I can be sure to check in.

hugs,
e

MomTFH said...

Hi-

Hope you keep writing here. I will let you know when I get mine set up.

hmjenck said...

Love your writing and can't wait to hear more. Will love hearing about family, faith, food...my favorite stuff in life. take care -Heidi

Anonymous said...

I remember reading your writing elsewhere. Glad you found a new home!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your new home, my friend! I am so glad that you found a place where your beautiful writing and insights have free roam.

ps. I think there's plenty of room at the top of the coconut tree for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I'm here.